An Overview of Health Services
School Nurses provide patient care to students and staff, community/public health education and promotion, and health related investigations in order to promote wellness in the school setting. The distinguishing characteristic is to provide direct patient care and education as an independent health care professional in the school setting. Work is performed with considerable independence. Employees work under the general direction of the School Nurse Coordinator, a Medical Director, and serve as Team Members within the Department of Student Support Services.
Health Concerns Addressed by the Professional Registered Nurse in the School Setting
- Communicable disease management
- First aid needs, including head injuries
- Environmental safety
- Immunization compliance to minimize risk of preventable disease outbreaks
- Communication with City and State health departments
Goals of SLPS Health Services
- To build health literacy in families
- To promote holistic health, injury prevention, and disease prevention
- To assist Students and Families in understanding medical conditions and how to care for them
- To support Student achievement and maximization of potential
Essential Steps in Achieving and Maintaining Wellness in the School Environment
- Determine eligibility of students to enroll and attend classes in the school district through verification of immunizations.
- Act as a community health resource regarding routine and specialized health issues and activities in the school setting.
- Assist in the development and implementation of IDEA, 504 reports, and required services.
- Assess and attend to personal health needs of students.
- Recommend and/or refers students for further evaluation of health issues or concerns.
- Provide direct care to students, which includes first aid, medical treatments, administers medications, and health screenings.
- Conduct training and educational workshops for students, parents, and staff on health education and promotional topics.
- Conduct regular inspections of the school environment for health and safety concerns.
- Provide case management services to families.