Reading in First Grade
All children learn to read at their own pace.
· decode words using short vowel sounds
· read text by decoding word parts
· blend sounds of words to read text
· separate two part words orally and in text
· identify root words and their inflectional forms in text
· interpret vocabulary when reading independently
· read high-frequency words in text
- comprehend text by applying reading strategies
- utilize comprehension strategies
- read fluently to comprehend text
- identify major literary elements in text
- identify similarities and differences in text written by the same author
- identify the differences between genres including fiction, nonfiction, and poetry
Guided reading is when a in small flexible homogenous grouping to work on a reading passage or skills. Students meet in small groups (if possible, 6 or less) and tackle common text or skill. We will do guided reading daily in first grade to build on each child's reading needs.