Trauma Informed Schools
In a trauma informed school, adults in the building are trained to recognize and to appropriately respond to students who have experienced trauma and traumatic stress. The school climate is built on a foundation of strong, supportive relationships and a safe positive environment.
- Feelings of physical, social, and emotional safety in students.
- A shared understanding among staff about the impact of trauma and adversity on students.
- Positive and culturally responsive discipline policies and practices.
- Access to comprehensive school mental and behavioral health services.
- Effective community collaboration.
Benefits for Being a Trauma Informed School
• Improved academic achievement and test scores.
• Improved school climate.
• Improved teacher sense of satisfaction and safety in being a teacher.
• Improved retention of new teachers.
• Reduction of student behavioral out-burst and referrals to the office.
• Reduction of stress for staff and students.
• Reduction in absences, detentions, and suspensions.
• Reduction in student bullying and harassment.
• Reduction in the need for special educational services/classes.
• Reduction in drop-outs.
For more infomation, click on the following link: