Suggested Online Resources (several others can be found on the SLPS website)
Purdue Owl’s Writing Lab
Mrs. Perkins Dolch Words
This website includes activities and resources to promote reading skills.
TOOLS FOR REMOTE LEARNING:
Nine’s learning resources are evidence-based. These educational resources build social and emotional learning, literacy, STEM, social studies, and fine and performing art skills for children across the St. Louis region. Free educational content is at the core of Nine’s mission. From Sesame Street to NOVA, Nine broadcasts trusted educational content all day, every day, on television and online: www.ninenet.org/learningtoolkit
Brain POP has given SLPS free access to its learning tools while schools are closed. The website is www.brainpop.com (also includes BrainPOP Jr., BrainPOP ELL and other multilingual versions of the site)
· Username: slps2020
· Password: slps2020 Here is a list of hundreds of free online resources -- this list is being crowdsourced and regularly updated by educators across the globe. TNTP (The New Teacher Project) created a list of free online courses for students across grades and subject. Bright by Text has partnered with Nine Network to provide research-based tips and links to trusted resources that help subscribing parents and caregivers support the learning and development of children. The texting service is available in English and Spanish. Current messages focus on helpful ways to talk to your children about COVID-19, as well as activtiies to do at home, how to manage stress during an oubreak, and more. To sign up, text CARE to 274448 or visit ninenet.org/care.
Virtual activities for kids to do independently:
Dreambox (online K-8 math program/free 90-day trial)
Newsela (relevant, subject-specific articles tailored to be grade-appropriate and can be viewed in Spanish)
PhET simulations (K-12 STEM simulations that make math and science ideas tangible and testable)
Code Break (Code.org’s Weekly Challenge or activity. Weekly webcasts Wednesday’s at 12:00 CT)
Hands-on activities for adults to do with kids:
Everyday mySci: https://schoolpartnership.wustl.edu/everyday-mysci
K-12 NGSS Phenomena Activities: https://www.ngssphenomena.com/virtual-science-education
Ditch the screens and DO the science! An introduction to DOING science at home: https://youtu.be/mNP9hs2a1FY
Encourage problem-solving with 3 Act Math Tasks: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/u/0/d/1jXSt_CoDzyDFeJimZxnhgwOVsWkTQEsfqouLWNNC6Z4/pub?output=html
Learning Packets and Resources
Help your littlest learners stay on track with resources for children in Pre-K through 2nd grade. Click HERE.
- Additional Science Resource for K
- Additional Science Resource for Grade 1
- Additional Science Resource for Grade 2
- Visual Arts Resource (all ages)
Support growing learners in grades 3-5 with a variety of fun, academic activities. Click HERE to access.