Hello students, parents, and caregivers. I hope that this email finds you and your families doing well. My family and I are all well, adjusting to our “new normal” easily.
Online learning can be rough if you’re not prepared. Much of the obstacle lies in making a daily schedule to attend to your student’s learning. As I will not be directly in front of our Algebra 150 students, it will be a struggle for most…unless we ensure that we have the necessary tools in place ready to use.
Here are the necessities to make this happen as seamlessly as possible:
- Internet access
- Access to an electronic device for getting lesson information and/or student work.
- Making a weekday schedule for your child to attend to all eight (8) of their classes.
- The most difficult part may be sticking to the schedule
- Access to their online coursework (the textbook, in some instances) by way of their textbook.
- Students MUST be able to access their email too. This will be their primary means of connecting to me should they have any questions.
- Links and documents are also available through my school district web page at:
- The students need to be able to access Microsoft Teams (they’ll be assigned a class based on their A-Day schedule).
- Prodigy, Khan Academy, MobyMax (new), CK-12 (new), Pearson Realize (their textbook) will all have links available and working through my district web page beginning April 2, 2020. IXL may be available by week’s end (not ready as of April 5, 2017).
- The students will need to know their logins to gain access. If you don’t have them available, please email me ASAP to let me know and I will get them to you.
- I’ll be available for all student/parent/caregiver questions via email beginning Monday through Friday from 7:00 am – 4:00 pm.
- My office hours will be from 1:30 pm – 4:00 pm on Zoom (an audio/visual conferencing application), where you and your child will be able to ask me questions by way of audio (voice) or chat ONLY. No video contact will be made during these times. Here is the link to access the office hours meeting:
The students will be responsible for learning two lessons each week, one introduced on Mondays and the other on Wednesdays. All assignments will be due no later than Friday evening at 7:00PM. Their Double-Dose (their B-Day class) has assignments that are due by Saturday night.
In addition, and just as important, if you haven’t taken the technology survey for our district, I urge you to do so. You can gain access to the survey below. It is a two-question survey which notifies us about the in-home technology needs of our students:
- Technology Survey: Survey Link.
- This link will inform the district of your current situation as it pertains to online access (an available device, internet access, becoming familiar with the different applications and systems necessary for online learning).
I encourage you and your child to practice accessing these links, web sites, documents, and forms as often as possible to help it become easier to navigate. It will certainly make this transition for everyone much easier.
If you have any further questions of me, please feel free to reach out to me as soon as possible. I’ll be available Monday through Friday from 7:00am until 4:00pm each day, with audio only (through Zoom; see link above; copy and paste in browser) office hours between 1:30pm and 4:00pm each school day.
Thank you for your time and attention. Mr. Fields