Sikhona “I am here to be seen.” Sawubona “I see you.”
LIMS Counseling Mission Statement
The mission of Long International Middle School Counseling Department is to create unique learners and teachers using respect, relationships and rigor everyday (C.U.L.T.U.R.E.). This will be done by providing all students access to a comprehensive counseling program that is data inspired, student centered and prevention focused. The school counseling program will address student needs through academic, personal/social, and career counseling. Supporting all students’ mastery of challenging curricula by removing barriers to learning, and providing a safe, engaging and connected school environment. The school counseling department will collaborate with teachers, parents and community stakeholders to ensure all students are successful by advocating for access to diverse opportunities and equity in educational programming and interventions.
LIMS Counseling Vision Statement
The vision of the Long International Middle School Counseling Department is that all students will R.O.A.R.R (Be respectful, be organized and open-minded, be adaptable, build and foster relationships, and rigor). We will accomplish this vision by ensuring all students achieve academic success and be prepared for a rich, limitless future, including pursuing post-secondary education, entering the workforce and becoming world-class citizens. Our students will be college and career ready members of a diverse society where their collaboration and cooperation is supported by a growth mindset and empathetic actions. This will allow them to achieve independent and collective goals, become supportive leaders and productive community members.
Role of the Middle School Counselor
Parents, the press, administrators and the general public often wonder just what it is that school counselors do on a daily basis. Gone are the days of school counselors sitting in their office simply handing out college applications, making schedule changes for students who want to drop a class or meeting with the troublemakers in the school. Today's school counselors are vital members of the education team. They help all students in the areas of academic achievement, personal/social development and career development, ensuring today's students become the productive, well-adjusted adults of tomorrow.
~ From American School Counselor Association
LIMS Counseling Department Goals
- By May 23rd, 2024, sixth, seventh and eighth grade students will participate in career, personal/social and academic development guidance curriculum via classroom guidance lessons, field trips or assemblies.
- By March 12th, 2024, all eighth grade students will develop and use an Individual Career and Academic Plan (ICAP) to prepare them for their post-secondary goals.
- By May 23rd, 2024, identified sixth, seventh, and eighth grade students will receive individual counseling, small group counseling, consultation services and referral services for prevention and intervention purposes to meet the immediate needs and concerns of students.
- By May 23rd, 2024, all Long International Middle School (L.I.M.S.) stakeholders will receive system support as determined by the needs of the school community.
LIMS Counseling Department Objectives
- Students will be able to use and apply information learned in guidance lessons to their career, personal/social and academic development.
- Students will be able to develop their ICAP based on their post-secondary goals.
- The school counselor will develop a system that allows stakeholders to make referrals for students needing support from the counseling department.
- The school counselor will be able to fulfill responsibilities needed by the L.I.M.S. community to meet the needs of students, including those specified under system support.