Degrees and Certifications:
Valerie Simmons - Reading
How To Make Reading Fun At Home
1. Change where you read. For example, Scary books you can read in the dark with a flashlight.
2. Start a tradition of reading the Sunday comics or a favorite magazine.
3. Read aloud books with words you find difficult to pronounce.
4. With older kids, try a book club. Book clubs can be fun with mother-daughter, father-son or grandparents-grandchildren.
5. Keep book characters "alive", by dressing up like them.
6. Kids love to voice their opinions. After a book, do a simple thumbs-up, down, or in-between. Also ask,"Would you change th story at all? What should happen next?"
7. Expand the list of adults who regularly read with your kids. This exposes them to a wide variety of reading interests and styles.
8. Let your kids choose their own books. For example, comic books, nonfiction, magazines, cookbooks or the same book over and over.
9. Help readers celebrate their skills by reading to younger child, pet or stuffed animals.
10. Have fun reading!!!
Storyline Online feature accomplished actors and actresses reading some of their favorite children's books.
National Geographic Young Explorers is a magazine children can listen to non-fiction stories being read to them as they follow along with the highlighted text.