Ford Elementary School was commissioned in 1963 by the following Board Members:
Daniel L. Schlafly (President), Alex Aboussie, John. M Acee, H. Lee Bruns, Frederick E. Busse, Mrs. Gilbert Harris, Rev. John J. Hicks, James E. Hurt Jr., James S. McClellan, Elmer Bunds, Robert Rainey M.D., James F. Robinson, Phillip J. Hickey (Superintendent of Instruction), and James F. Morrell (Commissioner of School Buildings).
Ford Elementary was named after businessman Henry Ford (1863-1947) and his son Edsel Ford (1893-1943). At this date, it is unknown why the school was named after the Ford businessmen.
Currently, Ford Elementary School is a Pre-Kindergarten through 5th grade school located in the Hamilton Heights neighborhood of North St. Louis, Missouri. Ford Elementary is located near the Monsanto YMCA, Better Family Life and Friendly Temple Church. The school has long been a focal point for the neighborhood and has served generations of families from the community.
Ford enrolls approximately 194 students of which 12.8% (25) have an active Individual Evaluation Plan (IEP), 26.8 (52) % of the students are currently identified as homeless, and 100% receive free and reduced lunch. Since 2013, Ford’s average daily attendance rate has averaged 94%. Since the 2009-2010 school year, student enrollment has fluctuated from a high of 356 in 2010 to a low of 226 in 2018.