Sigel Elementary School
School/Parent/Student Compact Title 1
Sigel Elementary School and the parents of the students participating in activities, services, and programs funded by Title I, Part A of the Elementary and Secondary Education Act (ESEA) agree that this compact outlines how the parents, the entire school staff and the students will share the responsibility for improved student academic achievement and the means by which the school and parents will build and develop a partnership that will help children achieve the State’s high standards.
1. Sigel Elementary School and its staff will provide high-quality curriculum and instruction in a supportive and effective learning environment that enables the participating children to meet the state’s student academic achievement standards as follows:
· encourage and support students’ learning by creating a caring, inclusive, stimulating and safe school/classroom setting,
· use positive actions and words,
· maintain and foster high standards of academic achievement and positive behavior
· respectfully and accurately inform parents of their child’s progress,
· maintain high expectations for students and a commitment to continuous growth for the teacher, staff and the school,
· respect cultural differences of students, their families and other staff members,
· help students resolve conflicts in positive, nonviolent ways,
· retain highly qualified principals and teachers and
· provide instruction materials and highly qualified professional development which incorporates the latest research.
2. Hold annual parent-teacher conferences during which student progress during the first quarter, the contents of this compact (as it relates to the individual child’s achievement) and third quarter achievement and any pending options will be discussed. Specifically, those conferences will be held:
· twice per year at each building. A mailing/calendar will be sent with information about the conferences and
· at a mutually agreed upon time with the teacher and parent/guardian.
3. Provide parents with frequent reports on their children’s progress. Specifically, the school will provide reports as follows:
· progress reports with grades distributed to parents/guardians approximately half-way through each marking period and
· grade reports distributed to parents/guardians at the end of each marking period.
4. Provide parents reasonable access to staff. Specifically, staff will be available for consultation with parents as follows:
· scheduled consultations before, during or after school (via phone calls or person-to person meetings) and
· scheduled school or home visits.
5. Provide parents opportunities to volunteer and participate in their child’s class/school and to observe classroom activities, as follows:
· listening to children read,
· helping with field trips, classroom activities, PTO, etc and
· assisting with programs, parties educational trips, etc.
6. As a parent, I will support my child’s learning in the following ways:
· ensuring that they are in school every day possible,
· checking that homework is completed,
· volunteering in my child’s classroom/school,
· remaining aware of my child’s extracurricular time and activities and
· staying informed about my child’s education by reading all communications from the school and responding appropriately.
7. As a student, I will share the responsibility to improve my academic performance to meet the state standards and will:
· attend school every day possible,
· be safe, responsible and be respectful toward others,
· do my homework every day and ask for help when I need it,
· read at least 30 minutes every day outside of school time,
· obey the school and bus rules and
· give all notes and information from my school to my parent/guardian daily.
Principal Signature Date
Teacher Signature Date
Parent Signature Date
Student Signature Date
Document revised by Sigel staff and parents May 2013.