Students who are in possession of cell phones must adhere to the Student Code of Condcut, Student Handbook, Acceptable Use Policy, and all Board Policies.
Gateway Middle School allows the possession of cell phone devices by students on school premises during the school day. During the school day (defined as being from the time a student arrives each morning until school is dismissed for the day), these devices must be turned off and may not be used by students. There is no reason that a student should need to use their cell phone during the school day. In any instance requiring an emergency communication with a student, our school will use the school telephone directly.
The only reason(s) for school teachers/staff to ask a student to surrender a cell phone would be:
- Cell phone rang and/or vibrated (violation of the policy)
- Teacher/staff member saw the cell phone (violation of the policy)
When a device os on school property, students WILL NOT:
- Answer an incoming SMS (text) message or phone call
- Be on any social media site (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc...)
- Access or play and game, application (app), or access any entertainment site on device
- Take or upload any picture or video (social media sites, websites)
- SMS (text) message or email any picture of video taken in class to any person, including themselves
- Access any type of mobile web browsing for any reason
- Take any picture, video or text any class assignments or assessments
Phones that are used, or are visible, will be confiscated by the classroom teacher/staff member
- 1st offense: Device will be confiscated from teh student and returned to the student at the end of the day.
- 2nd offense: Device will be confiscated from the student and will be returned ONLY to the parent/guardian of the student before school or after school
- 3rd and Subsequent Offenses: Device will be confiscated and returned to the parent/guardian before school or after school and the student will lose device privileges by not being allowed to have device on school premises.
Furthermore, students who do not adhere to these guidelines will be subjected to other disciplinary actions. Additionally, filming or videotaping is grounds for immediate confiscation of cell phone device. At this time, parent is required to schedule a meeting with administration.
Lost, Stolen or Damaged Devices:
Each student user is responsible for his/her own cell phone and should use it responsibly and appropriately. Gateway Middle School takes no responsibility for stolen, lost, or damaged cell phones.
We realize that having to pick up a student's phone or device may be inconvenient and therefore we recommend you discuss this policy with your student in order to avoid this problem. Confiscated phones and devices will be labeled with the student's name and kept until the parent takes possession.