Welcome to the Principal's Corner. Here you will find information about the mission and environment of Sherman Elementary School. Feel free to contact me anytime with additional questions.
A day in the life of the Sherman learning environment will reflect intense and focused engagement in culturally responsive, authentic, and project-based learning. Our culture reflects our mission: To immerse our students in an environment of high academic achievement, positive growth, and mutual respect. We place emphasis on facilitating instruction that reflects deliberation, purpose, and intent based on achievement data and research based best practices. We are preparing students for the rigors of higher academics and 21st Century careers.
There have been several site-based improvements that support our mission.Academics:
- an Academic Leadership Team with Elementary Teaching and Early Childhood Education certifications and extensive iPad instruction training
- a highly qualified teaching staff, as defined by the Missouri Department of Elementary and Secondary Education, that is rich in cultural and ethnic diversity
- professional development for teachers, with measurable outcomes for teacher performance
- data-driven instruction, researched based best practices, and measurable student outcomes
- differentiated instruction to meet the wide and varying needs of individual students
- iPad Initiative for third grade students (every third grader will have their own iPad)
- a focus on Common Core Standards supported by an infusion of literacy in every content area and all activities
- additional tutoring support for students by trained reading tutors
- enhanced computer and science labs
- numerous renovations including nurse's office, private bathroom for ill children, student restrooms, classrooms, main office, and our guest restroom
- air conditioning in every classroom
Student and family support:
- specialized support from Mentor St. Louis and Mentoring Initiatives Boys & Girls Clubs of Greater St. Louis
- free before and after-care for pre-school students (up to two hours before and after school)
- free after-care for K-6 students with homework support provided by staff trained in multi-dimensional curricula for mathematics, literacy, and character development, for up to two and a half hours after school (dinner included, and transportation provided for students that are bused to school)
- a parent resource room
- a multitude of opportunities for families and communities to get involved, enhanced by a Parent and Community Engagement Specialist
We encourage families and the community to be a part of Sherman's mission. Join us in our commitment to the thrill of success that is on the horizon.
Cameron A. Coleman
Principal, Sherman Elementary School