History of Froebel Literacy Academy
On February 12, 1895, the Board of Education approved plans for a new school building. The approved plans were for an 8-room brick building to be called the "Nebraska Avenue School." On April 9, 1895, the school's name was changed from Nebraska Avenue School to Froebel School. Froebel School was named in honor of the founder and originator of the Kindergarten system, Mr. Frederick Wilhelm August Froebel. During Froebel's 127 years of existence, it has undergone several renovations to add additional classrooms. It also had a couple more name changes to Froebel Elementary School and the current name, Froebel Literacy Academy.
More information about our school's namesake.
Friedrich Wilhelm August Fröbel
1782 - 1852
Friedrich Wilhelm August Fröbel (1782-1852), the German educationalist, was the founder of the Kindergarten system. The son of a Lutheran pastor, Fröbel was a lonely child due to the lack of time his parents could provide for him and as a result, he formed a youthful connection with nature. This connection, along with his strong Christian faith, formed the basis of his educational philosophy. Fröbel believed that people naturally have the ability to be productive and creative, and that the fulfillment of this comes through “developing these in harmony with God and the world.” The “father of kindergarten,” he applied this philosophy to children’s education as he believed that development through free self-expression, creativity, social participation, and motor expressions formed the basis for social stability and guidance from youth into adulthood.