2022-2023 Program Requirements
Students will adhere to all policies of the district. Additionally, students will comply with the program-specific policies of Fresh Start Academy. Students understand that a failure to comply with these policies will result in dismissal from the program.
The Missouri Option Program permits full-time, public school enrolled students who are at least 17 years of age. These students are at risk of dropping out or not graduating with their cohort group the opportunity to earn a standard high school diploma. Graduation through the Missouri Option Program is not dependent on credit attainment. The Missouri Option Program is competency-based and approved by the State Board of Education. The program utilizes a high school equivalency exam as content mastery for graduation purposes. The exam sanctioned by the state for the Missouri Option program is the HiSET® test. Missouri Option students successfully passing the exam and completing all other program requirements (see below for additional requirements) are eligible to receive a high school diploma.
- Students will complete 15-20 hours of class time weekly. Students will complete 15 hours of work, volunteer service, or vocational training weekly. Once a student passes the HiSET (Exam), work/volunteer/vocational hours will increase to 30 hours per week (seat hours will no longer be required).
- Students must maintain a 90% attendance rate or higher
- After 3 consecutive missed days students will be withdrawn from the program. Re-admission will be subject to the approval of the principal.
- Students understand that payment for the HiSET Exam is $98.75, and transportation to the test site will be their responsibility. Additionally, the student understands and agrees to pay for additional HiSET Exam tests as needed. [Note: This would be in the instance that all sections of the HiSET Exam are not passed on the first try.]
- Students understand that a diploma will be issued upon successful completion of all aspects of the program. Furthermore, students realize that failure to complete all program requirements [passing the HiSET (Exam), passing 1/2 credit of health, 1/2 credit of personal finance, the MO and US Constitution tests, passing an American Government course, and fulfilling necessary work/volunteer/vocational/career preparatory hours] will result in the following:
- Non-issuance of diploma
- Dismissal from the program without the option for re-enrollment with approval from the principal