Lindenwood School / Lindenwood Lofts
Lindenwood School opened in September 1929. It closed as an elementary school at the end of the 1982-83 school year. It was later used as an adult vocational education center and a professional development center until August 2003. It was placed for sale that October and sold for $557,000 on Sept. 10, 2004 to the Murphy family. Lindenwood School was named for the neighborhood, where linden trees grew, and the architect was R.M. Milligan.
Lindenwood Lofts, the rehab project, received a Most Enhanced Places, 2009 Award from the Landmarks Assocaition of St. Louis Inc.
According to the organization: Lindenwood School, built in 1928 and designed by Rockwell Milligan, is a beautiful example of Milligan’s preferred aesthetic with multicolored, patterned brickwork, a monumental entryway, and a style that is a hybrid of Jacobean and Elizabethan. Through a sensitive rehabilitation designed by Klitzing Welsh that retained and incorporated many original interior features such as built-in cabinetry, bookcases, and picture windows, Rothschild Development created twenty apartments. New brick residences were even constructed on the former playground site, eliminating an unsightly and isolating expanse of asphalt. Landmarks Association listed the building in the National Register in 2005. Completed in April of 2009 with financing from Private Bank, the cooperation of Rothschild Development, Klitzing Welsh, and contractor "Sitelines," has resulted in a timely example of how and why the amazing and underappreciated St. Louis public school buildings can be re-purposed and remain vital parts of our community indefinitely.
Thanks to Katie Jokerst for bringing this property to our attention!