Metro Academic and Classical High School
Mission: Metro Academic and Classical High School will create a rigorous college preparatory atmosphere that develops passion for lifelong learning, service, global-mindedness, independence, and critical thinking.
Vision: As an IB School, Metro and Classical High School aims to develop inquiring, knowledgeable, and caring young people who help to create a better and more peaceful world through intercultural understanding and respect.
Metro's Staff will:
- Show our love/passion for our subject matter-be enthusiastic
- Follow the IB/AP Course curriculum to insure a rigorous college prep atmosphere
- Promote IB components in ALL classes/Incorporate IB skills at all levels
- Create classroom lessons that incorporate inquiry and critical thinking
- Commit to relating content to real world events and applications. Make curriculum relevant
- Use Cooperative learning/collaboration in our classes
- Provide open-ended learning experiences
- Respect and value differing perspectives and opinions in the classroom
- Choose text, examples, and materials and issues that are from global perspectives
- Make assignments that require research/learning about other cultures and their perspectives
- Highlight the cultural contributions of all peoples
- Celebrate diversity-explore other perspectives
- Create assessments that require evaluation/analysis rather than regurgitation of info/Challenge students beyond recalling information
- Promote, encourage, and create a system to foster service learning
We believe that learning is a life-long process of growth and development. This process involves physical and mental activities and affects all facets of a person's character and personality. We believe that one's formal education is a series of planned experiences, designed to cause specific learning to take place. Therefore, we believe that Metro should provide experiences to develop responsible, intelligent, self-directed human beings.