Metro Academic and Classical High School
Mission: Metro Academic and Classical High School will create a rigorous college prepatory atmosphere that develops passion for lifelong learning, service, global-mindedness, independence, and critical thinking.
Vision: As an IB School, Metro and Classical High School aims to develop inquiring , knowledgeable, and caring young people who help to create a better and more peaceful world through intercultural understanding and respect.
Metro's Staff will:
1) Show our love/passion for our subject matter-be enthusiastic
2) Follow the IB/AP Course curriculum to insure a rigorous college prep atmosphere
3) Promote IB components in ALL classes/Incorporate IB skills at all levels
4) Create classroom lessons that incorporate inquiry and critical thinking
5)Commit to relating content to real world events and applications. Make curriculum relevant
6) Use Cooperative learning/collaboration in our classes
7) Provide open ended learning experiences
8) Respect and value differing perspectives and opinions in the classroom
9) Choose text, examples, and materials and issues that are from global perspectives
10) Make assignments that require research/learning about other cultures and their perspectives
11) Highlight the cultural contributions of all peoples
12) Celebrate diversity-explore other perspectives
13) Create assessments that require evaluation/analysis rather than regurgitation of info/Challenge students beyond recalling information
14) Promote, encourage, and create a system to foster service learning
We believe that learning is a life-long process of growth and development. This process involves physical and mental activities and affects all facets of a person's character and personality. We believe that one's formal education is a series of planned experiences, designed to cause specific learning to take place. Therefore, we believe that Metro should provide experiences to develop responsible, intelligent, self-directed human beings.