CENTRAL VISUAL AND PERFORMING ARTS HIGH SCHOOL
ARTS LETTER AWARD PROGRAM
The Arts Letter is an award designed to acknowledge active commitment to the performing arts. Students earn points through participation in school performances, whether it is onstage or behind-the-scenes. Points vary according to the level of commitment and expertise required by the manner of participation. It should be a unique and a special honor to receive a Central VPA Arts Letter. To earn an Arts Letter, students in Dance, Theatre and Music must go above and beyond what is regularly expected from a Central Visual and Performing Arts student artist. An Arts Letter represents the top echelon of students. Letters and pins may be acquired yearly.
In order to earn an Arts Letter a student must participate in dance, theatre or music productions.
· The student must acquire 30 points in an academic year to be considered for an Arts letter. The award can be earned annually. (Chevron awarded after initial an Arts letter.)
· Additional awards of distinction (in the form of pins) can be awarded from individual departments.
· The Principal’s Distinguished Arts Achievement Pin is awarded at the Principal’s discretion for students exhibiting outstanding dedication to the performing arts at Central Visual and Performing Arts High School.
Points are earned based on participation for production, rehearsals and performances. Helping with additional committees is considered part of the Central VPA art experience and students are expected to help when asked. You are encouraged to earn points in at least two areas.
For any points to be granted, quality work must be done. Having the title does not guarantee you lettering points.
SAMPLE POINTS AS FOLLOWS:
PRODUCTION: THEATRICAL PERFORMANCE STUDENT THEATRICAL SUPPORT
Stage Manager 10 Major Role 9 Director 10 Prop Manager 10
Stage Crew 5 Minor Role 6 Asst. Director 8 Usher 1
Lighting Board Operator 5 Chorus/Pit 4 Tech Director 10
Lighting Crew 4 Dancer 4 Choreographer 10
Sound Crew 4 Understudy 3 House Manager 6
Prop Crew 3 Performing Arts Night 3 Performance Photographer 6
Make-up Designer 2 Solo Performance/Duet 5 Box Office 2
Make-up Artist 1
SET: THEATRICAL BUSINESS WARDROBE/COSTUMES
Set Designer 8 Box Office 3 Wardrobe/Costume Designer 4
Set Construction 5 Publicity/Promotions 4 Costume Mistress/Master 3
Projections 5 Program Designer 3 Wardrobe/Costume Crew 2
Sound Designer 6
Scenic Artist 6
Lighting Designer 6
Set setup and take down 3
· The student cannot be considered as having participated if he/she quits the show or is removed for the show at any time.
· The student cannot receive disciplinary action (OSS) during the school year.
· Academic eligibility: Students must maintain a 2.5 GPA and 90% attendance rate.
· The student must abide by all other rules, regulations and policies established by the Central VPA student handbook and Arts Departments.
· Points do not carry over from one year to the next.