Central Visual and Performing Arts High School
Parent Involvement Plan2015-2016
The Parent Involvement Plan will be updated periodically to meet the changing needs of parents and the school, and be in a format and language readily understood by parents and school district personnel. This policy shall be made available to the local community by Central VPA webpage, main office, PTO/newsletter. If the Title I plan is not satisfactory to the parents of participating children, the Saint Louis Public Schools will submit any parent comments with the application when the plan is submitted to the state.
Part 1. POLICY INVOLVEMENT
Central Visual and Performing Arts High School will:
1. Convene an annual meeting to which all parents of participating children shall be invited and encouraged to attend, to inform parents of their school’s participation in Title I and to explain the requirements of Title I, and the right of the parents to be involved;
2. Offer a flexible number of meetings.
3. Involve parents, in an organized, ongoing, and timely way, in the planning, review, and improvement of the school’s Title I program, including the planning, review, and improvement of the school parental involvement policy and the joint development of the school-wide program plan (if applicable);
Provide parents of participating children with:
1. Timely information about Title I programs;
2. A description and explanation of the curriculum in use at the school, the forms of academic assessment used to measure student progress, and the proficiency levels students are expected to meet;
3. If requested by parents, opportunities for regular meetings to formulate suggestions and to participate, as appropriate, in decisions relating to the education of their children, and respond to any such suggestions as soon as practicably possible; and
4. If the school-wide program is not satisfactory to the parents of participating children, Central Visual and Performing Arts High School will submit any parent comments on the plan when the school makes the plan available to the local educational agency (if applicable).
Part 2. SHARED RESPONSIBILITIES FOR HIGH STUDENT ACADEMIC ACHIEVEMENT
Central Visual and Performing Arts High School and the parents of students participating in Title I activities, services, and programs, agree that Central Visual Performing Arts High School outlines how the entire school staff, the parents, and the students will share the responsibility for improved academic and artistic achievement.
Part 3. BUILDING CAPACITY FOR INVOLVEMENT
To ensure effective involvement of parents and to support a partnership among the school, parents, and the community to improve student academic achievement, Central Visual and Performing Arts High School and Saint Louis Public Schools assisted under this part:
1. Will provide assistance to parents of children served by Central Visual and Performing Arts High School and Saint Louis Public Schools as appropriate, in understanding such topics as the state’s academic content standards (AYP) and state student academic achievement standards, state and local academic assessments, also monitor a child’s progress and work with educators to improve the achievement of their children;
2. Will provide materials and training to help parents work with their children to improve individual achievement, such as literacy training and using technology, as appropriate, to foster parental involvement;
3. Will educate teachers, pupil services personnel, principals, and other staff, with the assistance of parents, in the value and utility of contributions of parents; and how to communicate and work with parents as equal partners, implement and coordinate parent programs, and build ties between parents and the school;
4. Will ensure that information related to school and parent programs, meetings, and other activities is sent to the parents of participating children in a format that is practicable and in a language that parents can understand;
5. Will provide such other reasonable support for parental involvement activities under this section as parents may request;
6. May involve parents in the development of training for teachers, principals, and other educators to improve the effectiveness of such training;
7. May provide reasonable and necessary expenses associated with local parental involvement activities, including transportation and child care costs, to enable parents to participate in school-related meetings and training sessions;
8. May train parents to enhance the involvement of other parents;
9. May arrange school meetings at a variety of times, or conduct in-home conferences between teachers or other educators, who work directly with participating children, with parents who are unable to attend such conferences at school, in order to maximize parental involvement and participation;
10. May adopt and implement model approaches to increase parental involvement;
11. May establish a parent advisory council/PTO etc. to provide advice on all matters related to parental involvement in programs supported under this section;
12. May develop appropriate roles for community-based organizations and businesses in parent involvement activities.
St. Louis Public Schools, 801 North 11th Street, Saint Louis, Missouri 63101-P: 314-231-3720