What is a scholarship?
A scholarship is a type of financial aid awarded to students to further their education. It is awarded on various criteria based on the values and purpose of the donor or founder of the award. Scholarships do not need to be repaid. Many scholarships will require students to first fill out the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).
You can improve your chances of getting a scholarship by:
- Getting good grades
- Doing well on the ACT or SAT tests
- Active involvement in your school’s clubs and organizations
- Submitting your college applications early
- Meeting deadlines and eligibility criteria
- Following directions carefully
When applying for scholarships, pay attention to the deadlines and the eligibility criteria. Follow the directions carefully.