Office of the Superintendent
Dr. Kelvin R. Adams began his duties as Superintendent of Schools for the Saint Louis Public School District on November 3, 2008. In his role as Superintendent, Dr. Adams oversees a school district serving 22,000 students in grades Pre-K through 12. The Saint Louis Public School District operates 68 schools and employs more than 4,000 people, including 2,000 teachers.
As Superintendent, Dr. Adams is responsible for the day-to-day operations of the Saint Louis Public School District and a $390 million budget. The District is currently governed by a seven-member elected school board.
During his time with the District, Dr. Adams has focused his attention on improving student achievement. Among the accomplishments realized by the District during Dr. Adams’ leadership are the following:
- Regained provisional and full accreditation from the Missouri State Board of Education
- Expanded the number of available pre-kindergarten seats from 1,100 to 2,100
- Increased the high school graduation rate from 54 percent to 79 percent
- Increased the number of students taking Advanced Placement courses by more than 300
- Increased the District’s attendance rate from 88.6 percent to 93.9 percent
- Reduced the dropout rate from 13.9 percent to 8.2 percent
- Erased a $36.5 million deficit and established a $70 million surplus
- Opened a nationally recognized school for refugees and other new Americans
- Opened the nationally recognized Innovative Concept Academy with Judge Jimmie Edwards
- Created a portfolio of schools to provide meaningful choices for students and parents
Prior to accepting the Superintendent position with the Saint Louis Public School District, Dr. Adams was Chief of Staff for the Recovery School District (RSD) in New Orleans, LA. In New Orleans, he worked directly for the Superintendent to develop and implement the District’s educational and operational vision and strategies for improving student achievement.
Dr. Adams also has served as Associate Dean/Interim Dean and Charter School Liaison for the College of Education for Southern University of New Orleans, a Senior High and Middle School Principal, an Executive Director of Middle Schools in New Orleans and as a Classroom Teacher.
Dr. Adams received his Ph.D. in Educational Leadership in Administration from the University of New Orleans in 2005. He earned a M.A. in Elementary Education from Xavier University in 1991 and a B.A. in Elementary Education and Special Education from Northeast Louisiana University in 1978. Dr. Adams currently serves as a member of the Board of Directors of the following organizations:
- Boys Scouts of America, Greater St. Louis Area Council
- Concordance Academy
- Junior Achievement
- Operation Food Search
- Saint Louis Zoo Association
Email Dr. Adams at email@example.com.
Click HERE to read the latest message from Dr. Adams.