The Real Appeal program is offered to all benefits-eligible employees of SLPS who meet the program qualifications below at NO COST!
Weight issues in the U.S. have reached epidemic proportions. It’s estimated that nearly seven out of ten adults are considered overweight or obese and overweight and obese workers have medical claims that are 7x higher than their fit coworkers. Being overweight increases the risk of developing diseases, such as heart disease, type 2 diabetes, hypertension, high blood pressure and sleep apnea.
UnitedHealthcare’s Real Appeal can help reverse this trend, with tools and support to help employees lose weight, feel good and prevent weight-related health conditions.
Real Appeal takes an evidence-based approach to support weight loss. The program helps people make small changes necessary for larger long-term health results, based on weight-loss research studies commissioned by the National Institutes of Health. Real Appeal uses a highly interactive weekly internet show, videos and live online coaching to drive small behavior changes week by week over a full year. The program is designed to support adult members (eligible employees, spouses and adult dependent children) with a BMI of 23 or greater and are ready to lose weight.
Key Program Components
- Interactive coaching, live over the internet
- Weekly group coaching with other participants
- Ongoing one-on-one personalized coaching
- Each member who participates in the Real Appeal program gets a Success Kit sent to them after their first group-coaching session with tools to help kick-start their weight loss.
- The Success Kit will include Program Success Guides, Nutrition Guide with recipes, portion plate, electronic food scale, digital weight scale, Fitness Guide, 12 fitness DVDs, and resistance bands. A personal blender will be sent to participants during week eight of the program, in advance of the class content on healthy smoothie options.
- Highly entertaining and informative online program featuring new, healthy tips from favorite celebs, TV stars, experts and athletes, such as:
- Samantha Harris, former Dancing with the Stars host
- Dr. Ian Smith, former co-host of The Doctors and correspondent for Rachael Ray
- David Jack, recognized sports performance and conditioning coach
- Ellie Krieger, host of the Food Network show, Healthy Appetite with Ellie Krieger
Tools and Tracking
- Web-based participation through web platform or mobile app
- Online or mobile tools to track nutrition and physical activity
Ready to sign up?
Go to uhc.realappeal.com and get started*! Don't forget to download the Real Appeal App for your phone once you get registered for easy access to your profile!
*Please note, you will need your insurance card information to register for the program!